At Oxford Quantum Circuits (OQC) we are building quantum computers to enable life-changing discoveries : from new drug modeling to longer-lasting battery technology and portfolio optimisation. We are developing a cloud based quantum computer service – Quantum Computing as a Service (QCaaS) – to help our customers improve their operations and trailblaze new commercial and scientific approaches.
Our team is composed of 20 people with various backgrounds in quantum physics, nanotechnologies, hardware, and software. We are all bound by the desire to put OQC at the forefront of the quantum revolution and build a technology with practical applications in mind.
In order to support OQC’s mission a number of enabling software, hardware and infrastructure projects must be planned and implemented. These have been initiated and are currently being managed by various Executives in the company. With the current pace of development and company growth, the Executives are now seeking day-to-day project management to support them in delivery.
The focus of this Junior Project Manager role is to ensure that all OQC projects are effectively managed throughout their life-cycle. The Junior Project Manager will initially be responsible for reviewing and developing the company’s project regime and then the day-to-day management of all OQC projects.
A significant initial task will include the management of a multi-million pound and multi-party Government-funded project. This project will entail reporting, partners management, budget forecasting and communication efforts. The successful candidate will ideally have excellent communication skills.
We are looking for someone who is able to handle multiple projects at the same time, in both hardware and infrastructure, to identify and implement the most people-friendly and cost-effective way to manage OQC projects, to negotiate and deliver within the time and budget constraints. You must be detail-oriented, anticipating and solving issues before they arise, showing a high-level of proactivity and autonomy, keeping the company’s management team regularly informed with clear reports, and a natural leader who excels in supporting teams through significant changes.
As we will spend time reviewing your application and assessing the cultural and experience fit, we kindly ask that you send clear information about your main strengths and weaknesses for the role. Applications without a cover letter and an annotated version of this role description with your experience, strengths and weaknesses will not be considered.
- Integrated Project Planning Regime (PID, RAIDE, deadline and ownership, training, reporting (incl. exception and routine reports, governance), risk mitigation, management of relationships with contractors, business continuity, etc.)
- Resource Planning & Management (HR, budget)
- Support the commercial team in preparing customer visits or events
- Enhance awareness and implementation of project management best-practice across the company (training, on-boarding, annual assessments)
- Start-up experience and mentality: fast-paced environment with high expectations
- Proven experience in Project Management (related certification considered a bonus: Agile Project Management methodologies, PRINCE 2, JIRA)
- Experience with hardware and infrastructure projects
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written and presentation), including the ability to listen effectively, and strong interpersonal skills
- A proven track record managing Government- or Research Council-funded projects
- Understanding of commercial and technical aspects of OQC
OQC’s office is located in Shinfield, Reading. There will be a requirement for occasional travel throughout the UK and elsewhere abroad for conferences, meetings and engineering visits.
Send us a cover letter and an annotated version of this role description, highlighting your strengths and weaknesses, at email@example.com. Applications without an annotated version of this role description will not be considered.
We look forward to hearing from you!