At Oxford Quantum Circuits (OQC) we are building quantum computers to enable life-changing discoveries: from new drug modelling to longer-lasting battery technology and portfolio optimisation. We are developing a cloud based quantum computer service – Quantum Computing as a Service (QCaaS) – to help our customers improve their operations and trailblaze new commercial and scientific approaches.
Our team is composed of 15 people with various backgrounds in quantum physics, nanotechnologies, rf hardware, FPGA development and software. We are all bound by the desire to put OQC at the forefront of the quantum revolution and build a technology with practical applications in mind.
As an OQC Nanofabrication Engineer, you will draw on your previous professional experience to plan, develop and execute reproducible process flows to build and measure commercial quantum processors. You will have access to a network of state-of-the-art fabrication facilities in the area and will have the opportunity to leverage these facilities to build from our current technology that already produces devices with competitive quantum coherence. You will have access to our new purpose-built quantum laboratory where you will be a vital part of the quantum hardware team. Here, you will work closely on multiple and varied projects within our multi-disciplinary team of physicists, nanotechnologists, electrical engineers, software developers, and more towards OQC’s mission of building a quantum computer.
- We work in multi-disciplinary, cross-functional teams to develop and deliver OQC’s R&D projects. This means that responsibilities can be varied depending on skills across:
- Fabrication of superconducting devices for both R&D and product development
- Design, simulation and measurement of novel superconducting components for quantum processing
- Investigation and improvement of limiting factors to device coherence and fabrication precision
- Room-temperature test, characterisation and metrology of superconducting devices
- Design and implementation of procedures/tools to enhance throughput and precision
- Work closely with device design teams to improve circuit performance
- Creation and maintenance of process documentation, project plans and reports.
- Representing OQC in scientific settings such as conferences, as part of collaborative consortia, and through the authorship of publications.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- A PhD that prominently featured fabrication of superconducting devices, or experience (2+ years) involving nano-fabrication in a cleanroom environment, performing multi-step procedures autonomously.
- Specific experience with the following processes:
- Electron-beam lithography of precisely defined sub-micron features
- Wafer-scale photolithography with micron-resolution
- Deposition of uniform thin films
- Proficiency in mask design and 2D CAD software
- Experience with electrical probe measurements
- Working knowledge of Python
- Highly adaptable, good communication and interpersonal skills
- Capability and eagerness to learn independently about new subject area(s) and underlying technologies
- Excellent collaborative problem-solving abilities that you are able to employ outside your own particular areas of expertise
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Experience in an R&D or industrial cleanroom
- A good understanding of superconducting device physics
- Electron-beam shadow evaporation of sub-micron Josephson junctions
- Experience with thin film deposition and metrology of superconducting materials
- Familiarity with advanced metrology techniques and equipment (SEM, AFM, FIB)
- Familiar with safe working practices with both cryogenic and high-vacuum systems
- Experience with simulation software (ANSYS HFSS)
LOCATION & TRAVEL
OQC’s office and quantum laboratory are located in Reading. There will be a requirement for frequent travel to regional cleanrooms as well as occasional travel throughout the UK and elsewhere abroad for conferences, meetings and engineering visits.
Attractive remuneration based on experience.
Send us a cover letter and resume at email@example.com
We look forward to hearing from you.