At Oxford Quantum Circuits (OQC) we are building quantum computers to enable life-changing discoveries : from new drug modelisation to longer-lasting battery technology and portfolio optimisation. We are developing a cloud based quantum computer service – Quantum Computing as a Service (QCaaS) – to help our customers improve their operations and trailblaze new commercial and scientific approaches.
Our team is composed of 20 people with various backgrounds in quantum physics, nanotechnologies, hardware, and software. We are all bound by the desire to put OQC at the forefront of the quantum revolution and build a technology with practical applications in mind.
As OQC’s Quantum Software Engineer, you will work on optimising the control schema of our quantum processors and on automating stages of the design processes. This will involve developing characterisation and benchmarking code using OQC’s control systems to assist in assessing and improving overall device performance. You will work closely with the control software team to develop solutions for performing these characterisations and benchmarks efficiently and accurately. You will also work on simulation packages used to test the calibration and control software, and work in collaboration with the quantum hardware team to use this work to aid in the optimisation of device designs.
- Development, maintenance and testing of characterisation and benchmarking programs for superconducting circuit based quantum processors.
- Assisting in the production of requirements and specifications for the control software team.
- Assisting in development, maintenance and testing of superconducting circuit design software as well as behavioural simulations.
- Execution of all stages in the software development cycle, including design, implementation and testing.
- Identifying potential collaborators in the benchmarking and control optimisation space, and managing strategic partnerships.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Masters degree or PhD in an area related to quantum technology
- Experience with optimisation methods
- Experience with simulation of quantum systems
- 5+ years experience in commercial software development
- Good knowledge of Python scientific libraries
- Strong problem solving, troubleshooting and analysis skills
- Ability to work effectively in an agile team environment; ideally familiarity with JIRA, confluence, git and code peer-reviews
- Technically versatile and able to learn new skills quickly
- Proactive and enthusiastic attitude towards problem solving and other challenging project work, whether working independently or in a team
- Experience with control optimisation in the field of quantum computing
- Experience with design of superconducting circuits
- Hands-on experience working on control methods for superconducting qubits
LOCATION & TRAVEL
This role is based in the UK. OQC’s office is located in Shinfield, Reading. There will be a requirement for occasional travel throughout the UK and elsewhere abroad for conferences, meetings and engineering visits.
Send us a cover letter and an annotated version of this role description, highlighting your strengths and weaknesses, at email@example.com. Applications without an annotated version of this role description will not be considered.
We look forward to hearing from you!