At Oxford Quantum Circuits (OQC) we are building quantum computers to enable life-changing discoveries : from new drug modeling to longer-lasting battery technology and portfolio optimisation. We are developing a cloud based quantum computer service – Quantum Computing as a Service (QCaaS) – to help our customers improve their operations and trailblaze new commercial and scientific approaches.
Our team is composed of 20+ people with various backgrounds in quantum physics, nanotechnologies, hardware, and software. We are all bound by the desire to put OQC at the forefront of the quantum revolution and build a technology with practical applications in mind.
At OQC, we use arbitrary shaped pulses generated by FPGA cards to manipulate and measure qubits. The resulting pulses are sub-microsecond in duration and at GHz frequencies. They require sub nanosecond alignment to other pulses as well as precise and reproducible phase coherence. As an RF engineer, your primary aim will be to design a robust and highly resilient RF modulation/demodulation solution using OQCs current solution as a basis. The role will involve analysis, simulation, schematic design, PCB layout and lab based testing. Further responsibilities will include other RF design responsibilities such as filter design, component selection, microwave simulation and RF SNR optimization.
In this role, your work will directly support the UK’s only commercially available quantum computer, and you will contribute to building a quantum powered future and enable life-changing discoveries.
- A firm understanding the equipment, technologies, constraints and requirements
- Explore solutions, determining feasibility and advising on development options
- Meet with vendors/technology suppliers to evaluate and select components
- Design, simulate, test, analyze and commission solutions
- Capture ideas and results in high quality documentation
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in electronics or similar
- An excellent understanding of RF principles, theory and design techniques
- At least 3 years experience in RF/Microwave design
- Familiarity with manipulation and demodulation of RF pulses
- PCB schematic and layout design skills, ideally using Cadence Orcad/Allegro
- Experience using lab equipment to test and analyse designs
- Experience creating models & performing simulations
- Good interpersonal skills. Ability to work with customers and suppliers
- Ability to take initiative and work in a self-driven manner
- Experience with PCB design featuring FPGAs
- Experience working with cryogenic components
- Experience with digital converters & DSP
- Scripting in Python or similar
- Circuit modelling experience using HFSS
LOCATION & TRAVEL
This role is based in the UK. OQC’s office is located in Shinfield, Reading. There will be a requirement for occasional travel throughout the UK and elsewhere abroad for conferences, meetings and engineering visits.
Attractive remuneration based on experience.
Send us a cover letter and an annotated version of this role description, highlighting your strengths and weaknesses, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without an annotated version of this role description will not be considered.
We look forward to hearing from you!